Thursday, July 30, 2009

#16 Problems

On Tuesday I re-upholstered a couch!!!! The things you do as a designer... it was interesting. Went through a lot of staples, it looks good however there was not much fabric left so we will need to cover the corners with cushions and a blanket over the top.

Just a little annoyance thing.... there hasn't been much communication between designer and I. Set dressing should be the biggest job now that the basic set is already designed even with the alterations. However I feel that I haven’t been allowed to do anything for it. I have constantly asked for where we are up to design whys for a couple of weeks now, and don’t seem to get much feed back. I feel the Proddies knew more about the set then I did at the demo and production meeting (it was only after the production meeting that Bel sat Laura and I down and showed us sketches and her ideas). I have spoken to Bel who seems to think she has tried to let me know what has been happening, however I don’t believe this is so, she seems to want to do it herself.

I’m not having a go at the work Bel is putting in, because she is dong a lot, I’m more saying that she is doing too much and not letting anyone else have a go or help her. Which makes it look like the others are no doing anything. This show is my chance to do the most work for one show yet everything seems to be done. Bel was in the warehouse Wednesday night sourcing set dressing things without notifying anyone… this is supposed to be my job… I had already gone through the warehouse with Laura after the production meeting and collected anything I thought was suitable, and we are using a lot of items from previous shows.

I was asked to research some images for the posters on the walls and postcards. I have the postcards coming on Sunday night with my family (and grass skirts) and had done the research, however after talking to Bel again today to see where she is at and found out she had done the set dressing sourcing… I found out she has also done the image research and has most of the posters she wants already ready to print… I feel any input I have had has been a total waste of time.

So this is my bitchy email but I really felt I needed to explain why I have not been able to do as much as I would have liked for this last show. And I will end with saying Bel has done a good job as designer I really like that she has changed the set around and am excited about our last show, I would just like to have been more involved and been allowed to do my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment